Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A little inspiration...

A lot of times when people ask me what I'm in school for and I tell them speech pathology, they have either a tiny idea of what that means or no idea at all. I remember one time a girl said fairly condescendingly"...so what would you even do with that?" I didn't mean to be too snarky but I just replied, "Uhm, be a speech pathologist." (Duh.)

For those that have a slight idea of what falls under the umbrella of speech pathology, the only thing they think of is "helping kids talk." But it is SO much more than that. Last night me and some of my speechie girls got together for dinner and sat down to watch the 20/20 story about the progress Congresswoman Giffords is making, with the help of some very talented SLPs. That's speech-language pathologists ;-) It certainly got us even more excited about our studies and gave us the extra push to finish this semester out strong.

I promise you won't regret the time you spend watching this. It's more than a story about speech, it's her triumph and will to fight against odds. I don't know how anyone can watch this and not be moved in some way. It's a beautiful story.

If you can't watch the whole thing, at least watch the last 10 minutes.

http://abc.go.com/watch/2020/SH559026/VD55153303/gabby-giffords--mark-kelly-courage-and-hope

1 comment:

  1. I know a couple SLP's from the blogs and Twitter, amazing girls!

    ReplyDelete